Friday, April 17, 2009

Speaker Wires, Door / Window Insulation, and Extra Security

We got a lot of little things done today -- still seems like we're not doing a lot, but we did get the speaker wires finished today -- we are now about 99% finished with all the audio/video wiring.  Part of the rest is just getting the wires secured inside the walls.

I have a computer spreadsheet which I'll use to document the locations of these wires in each wall.  I could put boxes in the walls, and let the drywall guys cut them out when they hang them, but I would rather have the option of leaving some of these until someday in the future when I'm ready to finish them out.  I have speaker wires in all bedrooms and living areas -- including the master bath (where the whirlpool is located).  The speakers alone will cost a lot of money, and wiring the connectors will take a lot of time, so I can delay both the expense and the effort until I am ready to do a given room...  We'll get there eventually -- until then, the wires are in the walls, and will patiently wait for me to cut a whole :)

And, we were also able to use that cool expanding foam around all the rest of the windows and doors in the house -- it is difficult to get the right amount.  I would rather get too much and cut it off than not fill the cracks up...  Here is a picture of one window (the light outside caused this to turn out rather dark)...

And, I had some help from my son on attaching these straps of metal to the studs and to the wall header boards just to add a little security in case of extremely high winds.  We will do the same type of thing on the bottom of the studs also to keep the house firmly attached to the foundation (since only the bottom board is actually bolted to the concrete).


Here is my helper...

No comments: